A Piece Of Advice On How To Write A Definition Essay Properly
Definition essays require authors to present their opinion or understanding of a single word based on what they consider to be supporting evidence. This may sound simple but in practice it has often proven to be challenging, many times requiring the author scrap their present work and start over. Here are some tips on how to write a definition essay properly:
- Pick the right word
- Study the dictionary definition
- Give examples
- Use comparisons
- Structure of your essay
Often a writer makes the biggest mistake right at the start by choosing the wrong word. Proper nouns should be avoided since they are often exact and contain very little to write on. Words that are considered vague or descriptive are usually better since they can be elaborated on from more angles, for example “love”. A word like love is not simple to define, is it the protective instinct of a parent for its child, the feeling in your chest when you see your crush, or the discipline it takes to hold on to a crappy job to put your son through college?
A dictionary will contain the most basic, academic definition of the word and it will be useful to compare this definition with your own, quite possibly more abstract definition. Comparing these two can be helpful in setting your definition of the word apart from the generally accepted one.
Examples are very good at explaining a thought or idea since it conveys to the reader a situation that they can visualize or even experience for themselves, for example “ The love a chimpanzee shows for its young is similar to that of a human and its baby”.
Comparison can help to set one meaning or situation aside from another by finding ways of magnifying particular aspects of something by placing it in an unusual situation, for example, “Buffalo in Africa are willing to die to protect their young while humans live comfortably knowing that their are those who suffer and starve to death on a daily basis, yet we claim to love our young”.
The structure of an essay is helpful in many ways, mainly it organizes the information in a format that is usually more pleasing and agreeable to the eyes of the reader, making the entire essay a more enjoyable read. Choosing a good structure can also make it easier for the writer to construct their paper by providing a framework for them to work within.
Get your college essay written with experienced service - Papers4College - buy custom papers online.
Essay Writing Ideas
- Writing an essay on psychology
- Guide on essay outline
- Critical essay: useful hints
- Composing an essay on literature
- Persuasive argument paper
- The US trade statistics: essay sample
- Sample about investment in Turkey
- Fresh ideas for evaluatin paper
- Fresh topics for cause and effect essys
- Composing a cause and effect paper
- Compare and contrast essay ideas
- Marijuana lagalization: essay sample
- Topics for a strong persuasive essay
- Idaes for history essay topics
- Descriptive essay sample available online
- How to write a paper on illegal immigration
- Where to look for essay examples on art
- Using quotation marks
- Sample about corruption
- History essay topics
- Cause and effect essay topics
- Analysis writing topics on dating
- Recommendation on how to start an essay
- Writing a descriptive essay
- Topics for a good argumentative essay
- Thesis statement and topic sentence
- Essay writing prompts
- Crafting an essay conclusion
- Topics options on the Crimean war paper
- Original descriptive essay topics
- How to outline an essay
- Topics for 5-paragraph essays
- Sample about Indian culture