Descriptive Essays Topics: 20 Examples From Past Students
There is good news for you, students. Guess what the easiest essay to write is? A descriptive essay.
Now, given your age and station in school, your topic may need be more advanced than others. But still, you can begin with a nugget of an idea and let it blossom via research and close reading about the topic that you will write this descriptive essay about.
Pick a Topic That You Cannot Wait to Read More About
My best advice is to pick a person, place, thing, past vacation, animal – whatever you feel you can read and write about with sheer passion and enjoyment, where even the reading about it will be a pleasure, that there is plenty to say. You do not want to pick a short, sweet topic—although even a descriptive essay on a cupcake with decorations could become a novel in the right person’s hands. Marcel Proust wrote a whole chapter on the experience of eating a cookie and all the memories it evoked in his tome Remembrance of Things Past.
You can use these next examples as inspiration for creating your own or use them!
20 Examples of Past Students’ Descriptive Essay Topics
- My favorite animal of the sea—This particular student’s topic was sea otters—how they play, open shells by banging them on their belly . . . It was fascinating and fun.
- Describe your favorite hobby—I got an essay from a student one time about creating scenes inside blown out eggs—fantastic.
- Describe your favorite thing to do in your leisure time.
- Describe your favorite historical figure’s key accomplishments
- Describe your favorite style of music and why
- Describe your favorite work of art.
- Describe your favorite trip to the beach—the smells, sights, and sounds
- Describe what it is like to have a roommate/dormmate
- Describe what it is like to be an only child
- Describe what it is like to be a sibling
- Describe what it is like growing up in a one-parent household
- Describe your most frightening experience
- Describe an incident that seemed scary but is now humorous to you—fearing your first shot/fearing having your tonsils out, fearing swimming—whatever
- Describe your favorite dream
- Describe your favorite movie
- Describe your favorite actor or actress
- Describe a show you loved in childhood
- Describe your favorite author
- Describe your favorite book as a child
- Describe your favorite book as an adult.
Get your college essay written with experienced service - Papers4College - buy custom papers online.
Essay Writing Ideas
- Writing an essay on psychology
- Guide on essay outline
- Critical essay: useful hints
- Composing an essay on literature
- Persuasive argument paper
- The US trade statistics: essay sample
- Sample about investment in Turkey
- Fresh ideas for evaluatin paper
- Fresh topics for cause and effect essys
- Composing a cause and effect paper
- Compare and contrast essay ideas
- Marijuana lagalization: essay sample
- Topics for a strong persuasive essay
- Idaes for history essay topics
- Descriptive essay sample available online
- How to write a paper on illegal immigration
- Where to look for essay examples on art
- Using quotation marks
- Sample about corruption
- History essay topics
- Cause and effect essay topics
- Analysis writing topics on dating
- Recommendation on how to start an essay
- Writing a descriptive essay
- Topics for a good argumentative essay
- Thesis statement and topic sentence
- Essay writing prompts
- Crafting an essay conclusion
- Topics options on the Crimean war paper
- Original descriptive essay topics
- How to outline an essay
- Topics for 5-paragraph essays
- Sample about Indian culture